Symbol Key

In order to best understand my reviews, here's how to decode the symbols that I have used:

PRICING:
$= Entrees average less than $20
$$= Entrees average $20-$29
$$$= Entrees average $30 or more

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY IN GETTING A RESERVATION:
Easy= Can book within the week of travel or possibly walk-in
Moderate= Tough to get desired time, but usually some availability
Hard= Must book 180 days out, or luck into a cancellation

RATING OF APPEAL TO KID-DINERS:
Are we done yet???= Little to offer in terms of exciting atmosphere or entertainment
This is cool! = A moderatly entertaining environment, that should keep your littles entertained for the majority of the meal.
What rides??? = Will entertain and delight your child enough to make them willing to forfeit another go-around on Dumbo


Sunday, October 11, 2015

Tink Tested: Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie Lunch

Location: France pavilion in Epcot
Meals Served: B, L, D (Though technically, their menu lists all items as "snack")
Type of Cuisine: French Pastries and Sandwiches
Dining Plan: Yes
Full Menu: Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie Menu
Atmosphere: Parisian cafe


Photo Credit: DisneyWorld.com
Fun Stuff: Not really anything special here for kids. It's attached to a gift shop but since it's mostly French souvenirs, I don't think kids would find it particularly exciting. 
Stand out dishes: Fresh French Baguettes, Creme Brulee, Croissant Jambon Fromage, really ANYTHING
Best Use of Dining Plan Point: Bleu Salad  ($9.50) + Duo or Macaron ($5.75) + Strawberry Smoothie or Cappucino ($4.64) = $19.89
Experience: I. Love. Les. Halles. I have been here many, many times and before Les Halles even existed, used to frequent the old Patisserie. There are few better edible things on Earth than French pastry and French bread, so when my mom, K and I got caught in a rain storm while trying to take in some of Food and Wine Festival, it was an easy choice to settle on lunch at Les Halles instead. The tough part would be choosing what to order. Too many delicious options in one place! 
     Though Les Halles does frequently have a VERY long line, we were there early enough that it hadn't built up yet. Most Guests probably don't realize just how many choices there are here for lunch, including soups, salads, quiches and sandwiches. And the nice thing is, you can get a super reasonable meal here, and still have money left over for dessert! You can get a bread bowl filled with potato soup for only about five bucks! Desserts average around $4, so for just about $10, you can have a fantastic meal AND dessert too! 
     Mum picked the Jambon Beurre, (Ham and Cheese with Dijon Mustard Butter, on a Demi Baguette). I asked about egg allergies, so I knew what to get K, and the girl that was helping me got a supervisor. The supervisor told us what he could have and K chose the Pissaladiere, which he thought was pizza. Really it is more of a focaccia bread with tomatoes, black olives and Gruyere Cheese on it. I adore the freshly made baguettes here, so I just got one of those, since I knew K likely wouldn't finish his lunch, and I'd be having some of that. And of course, we HAD to get dessert. My mom doesn't feel like she has been to Disney unless she has had creme brulee from Les Halles, so I knew what her choice would be. K and I went with one of the only two egg free options, chocolate mousse. Not that I had a problem with that. Their chocolate mousse is awesome, and a really good size serving. 
K couldn't wait to get his hands on this one!
     After getting our order, I went over to the seating area to meet Mum, who had gotten a table for us. It can also be extremely hard to get seating here, since the place fills up, and is very small, but we were able to grab a table here this early with no problem. K took two bites of his "peezza" and decided he didn't like it, so I ate it. I thought it was tasty, but I could tell why K didn't like it. Gruyere is a rather sharp taste and the fococcia was on the drier side. It wasn't bad, but I probably wouldn't order it again. My baguette, on the other hand, was as flawless and fresh as ever. Crusty and crunchy on the outside, and soft and chewy on the inside. With some butter it was heavenly. K stole some too. Mum enjoyed her sandwich a lot. The meat and cheese was flavorful and the mustard butter complimented the sandwich nicely. 


     Once K realized there was chocolate mousse sitting on the tray, his eyes were locked in, like he was a lion stalking his prey. When I gave him the ok to dive on in, his eyes lit up and he went for it! I managed to wrestle a couple of bites out of his little paws. I love that their mousse is rich, chocolaty and smooth, yet has a light, airy quality to it. Many people miss the mark with mousse and it ends up like an overly sweetened pudding. Not the case here. And the chocolate crisp balls on top of the cup are yummy too! 



     Mum was not disappointed with her creme brulee. As always, it was insanely creamy and delicious. There's something about cracking the sugar topping with a spoon that is super satisfying. Especially when it's on top of the best creme brulee ever! I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again... The French do something magical to their pastry cream and custards. Heavenly.


     The desserts were incredible and there was plenty of my fabulous baguette to take the rest home to The Hubs. Always good to earn some extra "best wife ever" points!
Tink's Tots Try It Out: According to K (3 yo boy)  K, did you like your lunch?   "I haff dinna. I eat da peezza."   Well, no, not dinner, you had lunch. And yes, you ate what you thought was pizza. Did you like it?   "No like da peezza."   Yeah, I think that cheese was a little too sharp for you. But you loved the chocolate mousse, huh?   "Oooo, I like da choc-a-lit."   You, my friend, have excellent taste.   "I like da tays of it, yeah!"
Will we be back: I will go to Les Halles any day, any time, with anyone. Who wants to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question, comment, opinion or insight? Whatchya waiting for? Share your thoughts...